What I needed was the ability for dozens of people to be able to edit their single page and only their single page in a Joomla Website.So I set up about 30 users and 30 individual listings (articles).
- Each article was owned by the user.
- The users all belonged to the same User Group
- The Articles are all going to belong to the same Category.
- The User Group permissions where set to Site Login and Edit Own.
When I logged in as a user I saw the article they owned and it had a edit icon on it. I could go in to the article and edit it, but when I licked on save it came back with an error saying I needed to assign a Category. BUT the category drop down was empty.
The solution, which is rather non-intuitive and if anyone can steer me straighter I would appreciate it, was to go to
- Global Configurations -> Permissions -> ‘the desired User Group’ and
- set Create to Allowed.
- Then Save
- Then I had to go to Edit an Article Category
- Choose the Category all the Articles appear in
- Change the Permissions at the bottom for this User Group to
- Edit Own and Create
In both these cases the Create options seems odd. As I do not what the user to be able to create articles only edit their single assigned article.
Having made these changes and done some testing, all is working as I would want and they can edit their article but not create new ones.