Things change, that is the nature of computers, websites and Google.
So today I want to get translate going for a website: http://sciencetechkona.org/
This will be a widget that you may see there now, on the left hand site. To do this you do need a Google Webmaster Tools account. The easiest way to have one of these is to have your domain name registered with Google. Contact me if you need help with that.
- Sign in to your Google Webmaster Tools account.
- Next go to this page: http://translate.google.com/manager/website/?hl=en
- Click the button “Add to your website now”.
- Enter the url for your website
- Click Next
- Select the Plugin Settings
- Advanced: keep it to:
- Click Get Code
Setting up Joomla.
I am assuming you are on at least 2.5 of Joomla.
- Login to the back end of Joomla as an Administrator.
- Go to Extensions -> Template Manager
- Change from the Styles Tab to the Templates Tab
- Go down to your template, and choose Details and Files
- Choose Edit Main Page Template
- Go down till you come to </head> and create a new line above
- In to this new line above copy the code from Website Translator – Add Website page the Meta Code, it will be something like <meta name=“google-translate-customization” … Copy the whole line in
- Save and Close and then Close
- Go to Extensions -> Module Manager
- Click New
- Choose Custom HTML
- Give it a Name : Google Translate
- Select a Position, mine was Position-7, left hand side. Yours may vary.
- In to Costume Output, copy the code from Website Translator – Add Website page. We want the second bit of cod, the google_translate_element. Copy all the lines of code in to Costume Output as HTML TEXT (not inside the editor).
- Go to your website and check.
- Adjust as needed.