Thanks to http://www.joomlajumpstart.com/general-joomla/13-joomla-resources/43-add-facebook-like-to-your-joomla-site for this information.
To connect your Joomla site to Facebook, follow these steps:
- Go to the Facebook developer page here:http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/plugins/like-box
- Enter the page number (found in your Facebook page URL) of your Facebook page.
- If you don’t have one, go to Facebook Create Page wizard and create a Brand >> Website page for your site.
- Enter the height (typically 200 pixels) that you want for the Like widget
- Click the Get Code button to generate the Facebook Code.
- Open the Joomla Administrator on your site
- Navigate to the Module Manager
- Click the New button
- Select Custom HTML
- Paste the code into the HTML box (make sure the editor is turned off).
- Give the module a name
- Click the Hide Title radio button
- Select the Module Position where you want the widget to appear
- Click Save
ISSUES after doing all this, my facebook like appears with nothing in it.
This is due to a feature in my Joomla editor deleting all (what it thinks) is no standard html code. To over come this in JCE, the editor I use do the following.
- Go to Components
- Go to JCE administration
- Go to Editor Profiles
- Click on the Profile name that the user, usergroup or component is assigned to, eg: ‘Default’
- Click on the Plugin Parameters tab, then on the Media Support tab
- Check that the Allow IFrames is set to Yes.
- In Joomla 1.7, under the Article Manager, click on the Options button
- In the Options Dialog, click on the Text Filters tab.
For the Super Users group, or any other trusted user group, set Filter Type to No Filtering. Make sure that you only set this option for user groups that can be trusted as setting the Filter Type to No Filtering will essentially allow the user to include any html in an article.
- Happy coding
For Word Press
- Download this file: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/facebook-like-button/
- Install into plugins (on the left hand side bar)
- Add New
- Use upload
- Browse to where the file was downloaded on to your PC/Laptop
- Click Install
- You should get a “Plugin installed successfully”.
- Click on Activate Plugin
- You are taken to the Plugins page and the Facebook Like should be active.
- Click Edit