In a perfect world we could trust anyone and any information we received in an email would be accurate and true. Well that is how the original creators of email thought, even to the point where when I was first involved with email servers I could send from my xtra email address via Clears servers.
Not any more.
You have most likely come to this page due to issues with sending email via our servers. This is due to a lowering of our sending reputation. This has since been fixed but issues still linger.
There are about ten major players in the email market place. Those ones you know and others like AOL, GoDaddy, Comcast, Apple. What is less well know is that New Zealand’s largest ISP, xtra, does not do it’s own email, it has handed that over to Yahoo in the US.
In wanting to provide you with a service that is reliable and consistent we are now confronted with the simple reality that the big players in email can be very hard to keep happy. They will block emails quickly and are very hard to deal with to get things unblocked.
There is a very simple way to over come this and the following article is a step by step guide on how to do this. Or we can do this for you.
What follows is a little technical, but will provide you with Google’s free services in the Cloud that includes eMails, their replacement to Microsoft Office and storage for backing up your “My Documents”. (Up to 5 Gig).
Setup cPanel to point your emails at Google
- In cPanel for your domain name.
- Go to “MX Entry“
- We want to change your MX record to Google.
- Under “Email Routing” set this to .
- Click Change.
- Add five new MX records like the ones below. These must be exactly like this!
With 3600 as the TTL
Delete any other records. Please not these settings can take up to 48 hours to propagate though out the Internet. Though I find two hours and things are working.
Now we need to setup users to be able to access their emails.
Access emails via gmail.
- Go to www.google.com.
- Sign in to Google.
- If this is the first time you will have to accept the terms and conditions.
- Along the top menu bar of Google, go to mail.
Setting up outlook
- Go to your gmail account for the user (email@example.com).
- To enable IMAP in Gmail do the following:
- Sign in to Gmail.
- Click the gear icon in the upper right, then select Settings.
- Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
- Select Enable IMAP.
- Configure your IMAP client and click Save Changes.
- Or leave it as it is and use pop.
- Now configure your POP client.
- Or for Outllook 2007/2010: http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=86374
- POP found that google changed some links so here are the main screenshots.
- You are pretty much done.
For a school using Google Docs, Drive and Mail you need to make sure you have registered as a school or you will hit the 10 users boundary of Google Apps. Go here for more information on this, http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=72223 and go here to register. http://support.google.com/a/bin/request.py?&contact_type=nonprofit
Register as the admin user for the domain in question.
Check your emails as this user for replies back from Google.